Monday 27 July 2015

My poorly pooch

Today I had my first non-routine vet appointment for Ulay. We had a busy weekend with my partner's son, Ulay loved it as usual, this also included a free run.

However, this morning Ulay was slow & sleepy - I feel a bad Guide Dog owner as thought she had the hump because of his son leaving. This was not the case - had my first experience of a poorly dog. I took her to work but she was sluggish, peeing loads & very tired. 

One thing with Guide Dogs is the support you get from them right through training & aftercare. I called the welfare officer who told me to keep calm but get her checked by the vet. I called and awaited for the appointment - leaving early from work.

Both my partner & I tried getting fluids in and succeeded in just a few fingers worth. My instincts were right - cystitis; my poor little girl. Antibiotic bolus and a course to complete, rehydration & rest. Meaning no work fo Ulay. So my cane will be my guide for a day or so.

I have become very attached to Ulay and see her like a family member, we'll wishes welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment