Tuesday 4 August 2015

My best friend

Imagine losing your sight over four years, mainly from the treatment to save your vision. Yeah, that's me. It's getting worse - I have a vitreous haemorrhage (bleeding in the jelly substance of the eye) & it's causing a few issues on my macula and retina. Keeping a watchful eye and not panicking is difficult.

However, four months ago I met a beautiful black & white beauty who became my Guide Dog. It was a challenging time with training, knowing own limits -health wise, sight wise & even mentally. You are pushed to the limit but it is still worth it. The learning never finishes and it never will.

I was told Ulay may not be suitable for a totally blind person, but yesterday she was my Samaritan - whilst going to the Spar shop near my work, Ulay approached the crossing. I checked after pressing the button that it was safe-I thought it was clear however I then heard a car as I was about to cross; Ulat stood still - this is what they should do & prevented me getting injured.

She got a worthwhile cuddle.

Definitely my best friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment